Thursday, October 25, 2012

Tea Rose -- " Martha Washington"




I went outside today to take pictures of fall leaves for the blog, but to my surprise, a tea rose named "Martha Washington" was blooming and caught my attention. I planted her in 1993, so she's nineteen years old, twenty next year. Truly, I thought she was dead because I had not given her the care she deserved. At the same time I bought and planted another tea rose called "JFK,"  but it seems, he did not fair so well.




I've never been a big rose person, but Martha may change my mind with such a beautiful pink surprise on an October day! Roses are woody perennials, native to Asia, Europe, Northwest Africa and North America. Generally, the flower is composed of five petals, arranged up and around from bottom to top. But this depends on the variety, as roses (presently) can be compact, climbing, tea, minature, etc. and etc. The same goes with size and color.




Hybrid tea roses are big $$$$ dollars for the floral industry, especially on Valentine's Day and other special occasions for sweethearts. I'm not a big fan of thorns, but I plan to research and blog in spring more about all kinds of roses.




Todd watched my every move taking pictures of "Martha Washington"  and since he is my sweetheart, I'll put her in a vase for us both.

Until next time........

Happy Gardening 2012!


Posted by Wilma Smith









 



1 comment:

  1. I have had my Martha Washington for 25 years. She loves sunshine and blossoms from Mother's Day to Thanksgiving.
    No Horse farm
    Stamford, Ct.

    ReplyDelete