Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Early Mother's Day Tribute



Mother's Day is May 13th this year, so although, this tribute to my mom seems a little early, today it was cool and breezy in the yard and I decided it was a good time to work in the house. After, vacuuming, mopping, dusting and cleaning toilets, I kept going back to enjoy my mom's art and the picture above of mother, Woodrow (French Partisan Basset hound) and me. And then the light bulb went off in my head, share your mom's art and remind everyone that Mother's Day is May 13th.



My mom has always been an artist and crafty in any endeavor. Her father was a baptist preacher, her mother a seamstress. She was always a great cook, sewed our clothes (three girls) and was there to take us to piano, guitar, dance, basketball or any lessons, thanks mom! Seen above are some of the first pictures she ever painted. These are rustic oil paintings and the frames were made by my father.



After my dad passed away, mother began to take water color lessons, joined the Coweta Art Association, and began a new journey. She took lessons and began to paint....and paint and learned new techniques....and painted some more. Above is one of her first, "Sunflowers."



In my dining room, I hung "Daffodils" above and others below. My mom not only painted these but learned to mat and frame her "masterpieces." Sorry, I know these pictures don't do justice to the art.



"Dogwoods and Poppies", also in my dinning room, (great frame).


I gave mom this pot, she gave it a beautiful addition with the blue window in the background and the goblet and jugs on the side.



"Lilacs", mother loves lilacs, and I do too, I love all her paintings, but this is one of my favorite.


Not only can mother depict flowers, landscapes and buildings beautifully in her paintings, she has a gift to capture animals. Above you see mom's painting of my dog Woodrow. Woodrow was sixteen years when I lost him. She did the greatest job for me!


The "Donkeys" picture hangs under the yoke my dad gave me in my living room. I treasure all my mom's art work but I treasure her the most.

Hope this early tribute to my mother reminds you to do something special on May 13th to do something special for yours...and until later.....

Happy Gardening 2012!

Posted by Wilma Smith.

2 comments:

  1. WOW!!! Your Mom is certainly an artist. I must say it is very difficult to pick a favorite. What a terrific talent.

    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment...of course I think she is super talented, just hope some of her talent rubs off on me!

    ReplyDelete