Friday, May 18, 2012

Snakes, Lizards and Frogs -- Good for Yard and Garden




 
I grew up in a rural setting with snakes, lizards and frogs, so I've never been afraid of them and always had respect of their job in the yard, garden, woods and Georgia eco-system.

Cleaning up after the yard sale at the site, Todd (my Chiweenie) cornered this snake, who was minding his own business moving across the driveway. Since I didn't recognize the species, I decided to take it home and look it up. If it was poisonous, I would dispose of it and if it was beneficial to the yard and garden, I would let it out.



Researching the species took me back to recollections of my youth and what my dad taught me, how cold blooded reptiles like snakes and lizards and amphibians like frogs and salamanders, help humans in the yard and garden. Snakes keep the rodent population in check and poisonous snake venom is used, not only to cure snake bites, but used in lots of different kinds of disease research. Small lizards, as seen above, help to keep unwanted insects around the house, yard and garden to a minimum.


If you're interested search the web for the benefits of these amazing creatures that live at your house.



Frogs are also beneficial, eating mosquitoes, nats and other pests. It's hard to tell from this photo, but this guy is only about one fourth inch (the big one got away before the photo). They reside under the plastic pots growing our seedlings to plant in the garden. Searching the web, I learned an amazing fact. Frogs and toads are different, frogs have smooth skin and toads have rough, bumpy skin and most likely, toads are the ones living around our house and garden.


Although, I am not scared of most snakes, I don't suggest that you put one in your trunk. I'm sure this is a rat snake, but it is still in my car! I really gave my friends, family and me a good laugh with my debacle. Just hope I'm not driving when it comes out from under the dashboard.

Regardless, without these yard and garden friends, rodents and insects would be a bigger problem around our houses, yards and in our gardens.

Happy Gardening 2012!

Posted by Wilma Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment